Friday, May 16, 2008

Damascus to Rural Retreat, VA

May 4-7 2008
Total Miles: Over 500 Miles

This stretch included climbing over Mt. Rogers (highest point in Virginia) and crossing the Grayson Highlands. Wow? What awesome scenery in this section. It was like being on the set of an old TV show like “The Big Valley” or “Bonanza”. Wild ponies roaming the range, beautiful green pastures with cows and bulls grazing, flowers, and flowering trees blooming. In more than one place, I stood and just slowly rotated, clicking picture after picture, in an attempt to try to capture the 360 degree magnificence of the landscape.

This is the country side that inspired songs like, “America the Beautiful” and “This Land is My Land”.

My words cannot do it justice. I hope the photo’s help. Certainly the weather Gods were with me this week providing 70+ degree sunny skies to match the perfection of the landscape.

Along the way, I took a 2 mile road walk detour into Troutdale, VA where I dined for dinner and breakfast the next morning at Jerry’s Kitchen and spent the night as the guest of the Troutdale Baptist Church Hiker Hostel, which was also arranged by Jerry. Jerry is a really sweet guy, in his 40’s I’d guess. Likely works seven days a week at his family restaurant/grocery store in tiny Troutdale. I suspect he dreams of one day being free to hike the A.T. I hope his dream comes true.

The following night was spent at the “Partnership Shelter” also known as the “Pizza Shelter” because it is collocated with the Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area Headquarters on a major road and local pizza places and other restaurants will deliver fool there.

Well, me and four other hikers had a major feast from the Tuscany Grill that night. I won’t go into all the details, but will say I spent $27 just on my portion and could barely crawl into my sleeping bag when I got done!

I also met another hiker named “August” – a 17 year Army vet – who had brought a small chess set as his luxury item. I won 3 our of 4 games with him, though all four games were closely contested.

On May 7, I rolled into the (tongue-in-cheek) 5 star Relax Inn in Rural Retreat where I would resupply and rest up for next leg of my journey.

No comments: