Thursday, May 8, 2008

Spring Mt Shelter to Little Laurel Shelter, NC

18 April: Total Miles: 290.3

Started the day with the intention of going 15.4 miles to Jerry Cabin Shelter and got a reasonably early start at 8:15 a.m. But, that all changed in a good way, when I got to Allen Gap, about 4 miles in at around 10:00 a.m. There at the road crossing was a sign saying “Trail Magic – 350 yards East. Well worth the walk – Don’t Miss It! 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.”

Well, I followed the signs to a lovely modern log cabin home on the mountainside, ¼ mile down the road. Once there, the owners, (1999 thru hikers) “Hercules” and “F.A.L.” served me and my buddies a 3-course meal of orange juice, Belgian waffles, pork stew, and for dessert, a brownie sundae. Consuming this enormous meal and sharing fellowship took 2 hours of the day.

As a result, I modified my plans and took a short day stopping after only 8.6 miles. But, I’ve been worried about loosing too much weight in recent days, and at least for today, I know I reversed the trend. I’ll log some longer miles tomorrow.

1 comment:

Karen Rommelfanger said...

Yum! Hooray for Belgian Waffles!