Thursday, May 8, 2008

Slack Packing in Tennessee

April 23, 2008

Did a 19.1 mile “slack pack” southbound from Iron Mountain Gap back to Uncle Johnny’s Hostel in Erwin, TN. “Slack Packing” is were someone drives you to a point further north on the A.T. You then walk backward to your starting point, carrying only a daypack with water, food for the day, and minimal essentials (map, first aid kit, etc.). It’s a great way to get in some relatively easy miles, though many “purists” frown on the practice.

I really enjoyed my day of slack-packing and even out performed the 20 and 30 something’s that went with me for the day. We got to the trailhead at 8:35 a.m., and I was the first one back to the hostel at 5:15 p.m. It cost $16 for this service, but was well worth it to me!

1 comment:

Karen Rommelfanger said...

I think after hiking over 300miles, it's probably okay to slack-pack. And it sounds cool.