Friday, May 9, 2008

Erwin, TN to Kincora Hostel: Dennis Cove Road, TN

April 25-28, 2008
Total Miles Hiked: 409.3

First day out of Erwin, did 14 miles including the brutal 2,500 foot climb over 3 miles up Roan Mountain: the last 6,000+ ft. mountain until the White’s in New Hampshire. I spent the night at the visitor’s center at Carver’s Gap. It had a good piped spring and a men’s and women’s rest room (chemical toilets). I tented in a fir pine grove. It was the first night on the trail that I spent totally all by myself. It was nice. And, I felt very independent and strong, tenting alone at over 5,500’ of elevation.

2nd day out of Erwin, I did nearly 14 miles hiking across the Roan Mountain Highlands: Round Bald, Jane Bald, Little Hump and Hump Mountain. I would say that this was the most beautiful stretch of the A.T. I’ve hiked so far. Great views, beautiful meadows, lovely farms below in the valleys, horses and cows grazing in the pastures. It was truly breathtaking. I will come back and hike this section again some day.

Spent the night at the Mountain Harbor Hostel. A lovely, lovely hostel in the loft of an old barn at a beautiful farm just 2/10 of a mile off the trail. The hostel owners were not very friendly, but they did shuttle us to a great little steakhouse for an awesome dinner meal and I loved their beautiful farm including the billy goats!!

Third day out of Erwin was a long, wet trudge of more than 18 miles from US Hwy 19E to Moreland Gap Shelter. An unremarkable day – just a long, rainy day.

Fourth day out, made the short 6 miles from Moreland Gap to Dennis Cove Road and the legendary Kincora Hostel. I hung around the shelter this morning until 9:30 a.m. hoping the rain would stop (it did not) then came on down to Kincora, got in about 1:00 p.m. Was able to shower and shave then hop the 2:00 p.m. shuttle into town for supplies and a huge Arby’s lunch. Kincora is run by a retired USAF Colonel and his wife (he retired in 1994). They bought the place 13 years ago specifically to open a hikers hostel. It runs on donations only. No alcohol is permitted and there is no TV and no internet. But, it has the warmest, most friendly, most peaceful vibe of anyplace I’ve stayed on the trail.

I’m going to do a slack-pack out of Kincora tomorrow and send a 2nd night here.

No comments: