Friday, May 16, 2008

Dennis Cove Road (Kincora Hostel) to Damascus, VA

April 29- May 2, 2008

I spent 2 nights at the Kincora Hostel. The guy that runs it is truly a trail angel. It’s run strictly on donations – suggested $4.00 per night, when the for profit hostels all charge $15.00 per night – and he gives free shuttles to town twice a day, plus free slack pack shuttles, provides laundry soap, shampoo, TP, razors, you name it!

In a supreme example of how life is unfair, I heard from another hiker that his wife has a terminal illness for which there is no cure. People said it was quite unusual that she spent so little time out in the hostel with us. The God and Goddess must have very special plans for Pat in her next reincarnation, I just hope that her husband somehow gets to join her too.

Speaking of Karma – on my last morning at Kincora, Miss Willow was just arriving. You remember her – she was one of the four that survived the bear attack with me and that later tormented me for snoring in another shelter causing me to get so mad I broke contact with her and hiked away. Well – completely unsolicited by me, Willow sincerely apologized from the heart for poking me repeatedly that night and expressed remorse. She said she was sorry and hoped that it had not broken our friendship. I told her I was very glad that she apologized because it really did bother me a lot being poked and jabbed when trying to sleep. I accepted her apology and said that of course we were still friends.

I fell much better about this now because the last thing I came out on the trail to do was to make enemies. Rather, I hope to find friends!

The hike to Damascus was otherwise uneventful.

No comments: