Monday, April 21, 2008

April 10, 2008: Double Spring Gap Shelter to Ice Water Spring Shelter


Great Smoky Mountain National Park (GSMNP) NC

Daily Miles: 13.8
Total Miles 206.6

I believe I earned my Hiker boots today. Several firsts: Longest day so far with 14 miles. Hiked over the highest point on the entire AT, Clingman’s Dome at 6,643 feet. Have now hiked more than 200 miles total. And now have less than 2,000 miles left to go to Katahdin. So, I am a real thru-hiker now! And I feel pretty good at the end of the day to boot!

It was another beautiful, warm sunny day in the Smokies. Amazing – 4th day in a row.

Made camp tonight with two very nice ladies in their 50’s who are section hikers. They are slowly but surely section hiking all of the AT. They shared stores of various hiker characters they’ve met over the years. It was quite entertaining!

In addition to climbing over the Dome, a high point of the day, was going thru Newfound Gap and tourist-watching for a few minutes. It was also fun to reflect back on the great times my wife and I have had hiking in the GSMNP in years past. I really wish she could be here hiking with me now. Oh well, she is always with me in my heart.

No comments: