Tuesday, April 22, 2008

April 13, 2008: Standing Bear Farm, Hartford, TN to Groundhog Creek Shelter, TN

Miles Hiked: 7.2
Total Miles: 244.5

Had a really good nights sleep in the bunkhouse at the Standing Bear Farm. Had thought about taking a zero day, but felt so good that I decided instead to take a late start from the Farm (left about 11:00 a.m.) and just hike a few miles.

So, I just went 7.2 miles to the first shelter at Ground Hog Creek. There I met up with Willow, Gentleman Jack, and Southpaw, who I would hike with for the next several days.

It was the usual tough uphill slug out of a low re-supply point – about a 2,5000 foot uphill climb for the day. No rain or snow, just kind of gray today.

This evening Jack and Willow tented leaving only me and Southpaw in the shelter. Turns out he’s a retired Navy E8, about 6 or 7 years older than me. Just old enough to have served in Vietnam, on the river boats no less: ala “Apocalypse Now!”, and is still somewhat haunted by the experience. It was a good man-to-man, heart-to-heart talk.

No comments: