Wednesday, April 9, 2008

First Few Days


Actual Journal Entries

23-25 March (3 Days)
Neel’s Gap, GA to Dicks Gap, GA
Weather Conditions: COLD !!
Miles Hiked: 36.1
Total Miles: 66.6

1st three days. Tough going getting my trail legs, acclimating to being outside again, and fight the cold weather. Low temps of about 21 or 22 degrees both first two nights.
Met two great young men, I’ll call the “Marshall Men”, ROTC cadets from Marshall University in West Virginia at my 1st stop at Low Gap Shelter on night one. Hiked with them for the next two days. They were section hiking from Neel’s Gap to Bly Gap (GA/NC border) on their spring break from college. Very fortunately, they had their truck parked at the Hwy 76 crossig at Dicks Gap – 11 miles outside Hiawassee. So, in return for buying them dinner at Huddle House, they gave me a ride into town to spend the night. They returned to the trail to pitch tent and continue on.
First 3 days were physically very challenging just making my milage points and staying warm, so I took very few pictures and did very little journaling. I expect I’ll do much better with this as my fitness level and the weather both get better down the trail.
But, very much loving the adventure so far!!


26-27 March (2 Days)
Standing Indian Shelter, NC
Weather Conditions: WET!!
Miles Hiked: 16.5
Total Miles: 83.1

Crossed into NC at 12 noon yesterday. Weather was great approx. 65 degrees. And partly sunny. Made over 12 miles.
Slept GREAT last night!!
Got into camp late. Still trying to get my trail legs under me, but still so far so good.Running with a group of about 6 great folks that I met up with each night.

No comments: