Monday, April 21, 2008

April 11, 2008: Ice Water Spring Shelter to Tri-Corner Knob Shelter

Miles Hiked: 12.6
Total Miles: 219.2

Did 12.6 miles today including going over Mt. Sequoyah, 6,069 feet and Mt. Chapman at 6,417 feet. It was foggy, misty, and very windy all day. I really thought it would rain, but the my weather God was with me for the 5th straight day. I got thru my hike, into camp, set up, ate dinner, and settled in to bed for the night before the rain finally started.

I really do believe I’ve found my trail legs here in the Smokies.

Tonight I’m sharing the shelter with two other thru-hikers and four section hikers. We’ve got a fire going in the fireplace and it’s really quite cozy. The word is that the temperature is supposed to drop dramatically tonight. Maybe into the 20’s. So I’m bundling up.

It’s only 16 miles out of the park and only 18 miles to the Standing Bear Farm Hostel. I’m going to go for it tomorrow, I do believe. It’s mostly downhill!

And a warm bed and shower await me at the end if I make it!!

No comments: