Thursday, April 10, 2008

Heading to Fontana Dam

Hiked 18.2 miles during this period ending in Fontana Village with a total of 162.6 miles

April 3, 2008
NOC, NC to Locust Cove Gap, NC

Left the NOC at about 9:00 a.m. today after finding that the USPS Express Mail pouch with my 2nd long sleeve under armor t-shirt did not arrive L. Oh well, hopefully can buy one at Fontana Dam.
Had a tough 10.5 mile hike today with 3,500 feet of elevation gain climbing out of the NOC at Nantahala River to the top of Cheoah Bald. As usual, it was foggy, cold (40’s) and raining all day again today.
In an attempt to get to the Post Office at Fontana Dam on Saturday by 12 noon closing, I pushed 4 miles past the first shelter and camped out with my trail buddy Fire Sox at Locust Cove Gap. Because of the rain, I had to bring my pack into my tent. I also had to site quite hastily due to losing daylight resulting in selecting a slightly unlevel sight.

April 4, 2008
Locust Cove Gap to Brown Fork Gap Shelter, NC

Only went 6 miles today. Got a really poor nights sleet last night camped out in the rain and cold. Had another really steep 750 foot climb over a ¾ mile stretch this morning that really kicked my butt after the tough day yesterday and the poor nights sleep. Also felt a migraine coming on – took my medicine and it went away (whew!). The kicker – it was rainy, foggy, windy, and cold again today.
Upshot of it all – I packed it in early and staked out a warm corner in the first shelter I hit today.
I’ll likely still get to Fontana Dam on Saturday April 5 – on schedule, BUT not till late in the afternoon. This means I will not be able to get my mail drop re-supply until Monday morning.
The upsot – I’ll be forced to take a ZERO day on Sunday in Fontana. Probably just as well. I think my body could use the extra rest before taking on the Smokey’s.

April 5-6, 2008
Brown Fork Gap Shelter to Fontana Dam

Left Brown Fork Gap at 7:30 a.m. and finished a 12-mile day at Fontana Dam (NC Hwy 28) at approx. 3:30 p.m. Once again, it was foggy, rainy, dreary day but not quite as bad as the previous 2 days. I was starting to road walk the 2 miles to Fontana Village where I would spend Saturday night and all day Sunday, and Sunday night. I’d gone less than ¼ mile when a very nice young man gave me a ride right up to the registration desk at the village.
I had many aches and pains on Saturday night – especially my right knee and my back. I’m now really glad I’ll be taking a full day off on Sunday (a ZERO in hiker talk meaning 0 miles for the day). My 51-year-old, out-of-trail-shape body can definitely use the rest.
It’s now Sunday evening as I update my journal. I had a very quiet, restful day here in Fontana Village. The village is an interesting place. It was originally built in the 1940’s to house the 5,000 workers and their families that built the Fontana Dam. It is now a seasonal resort somewhat similar to Callaway Gardens (outside Atlanta, GA). Also of historical note, Fontana Village is the birthplace of clogging in America. The original community center has a stage and a large dance floor where the TVA Dam workers would square dance and clog on Saturday nights.
I took pictures of the “Clogging Hall of Fame”.
Also of note is that country music legend and hall of famer Ronnie Milsap got his start playing with the house band at Fontana Village back in the late 1950’s, early 1960’s

2 comments:

Karen Rommelfanger said...

Wow, the adventure sounds grand indeed! That sounds like an amazing experience. It kind of reminds me of reading Terry Brooks fantasy novels where elves and princes are treking through the woods in attempts to save the world.

Jenau said...

I am so glad you rested before going into the smokies!! What an amazing physical feat you have done already!