Tuesday, April 22, 2008

April 12, 2008: Tri Corner Knob Shelter GSMNP, NC to Standing Bear Farm, TN

Miles Hiked: 18.1
Total Miles: 237.3

Wow, hiked 18.1 miles today all the way out of the GSMNP and to the Standing Bear Farm Hikers Hostel.

The day started out with rain and thunderstorms while I was making breakfast in the shelter but it never actually rained on me out on the trail as I hiked. In fact, by mid afternoon, the sun was shining and the temperature was in the mid-70’s as I was dropping elevation rapidly.

As I left the park, I saw perhaps the most beautiful area I’ve seen so far, the crossing of the Pigeon River. Beautiful streams, spring in full bloom, flowers everywhere, water falls, butterflies. It was gorgeous. The Lord and the Lady truly live here! I hope my pictures come out.

I slept in this morning at the farm. What a neat rustic place! Got a hot shower – old school style – last night. Did not get to wash clothes, but only 2 ½ days from Hot Springs, so I’ll survive.

Expecting rain and snow for the next two days, then warmer weather.

No comments: