Monday, April 21, 2008

April 8, 2008: Mollie’s Ridge Shelter to Derrick’s Knob Shelter

Great Smoky Mountain National Park (GSMNP) NC

Daily Miles: 12.6
Total Miles: 186.5

Elevation gain today at the end of the day was only 300 feet, but it was a very tough day with several 700’-1000’ elevation gains and losses; lots of steep up’s and down’s.

There is awesomely beautiful scenery along the way. I took many pictures that I hope come out. Again today, it was sunny and unseasonably warm – More like when my wife and I hiked here last August than what I expected in early April. Bit, I’ll gladly take this over freezing in the rain or the snow.

Physically, it is still very challenging. Not impossible – but tough, especially carrying a heavy load of 7 days, plus 1 spare day of supplies.

No comments: