Tuesday, April 22, 2008

April 15, 2008: Walnut Mountain Shelter to Hot Springs, NC

Miles Hiked: 13.1
Total Miles: 270.7

Well, as one could imagine, it was hard to get going in the morning after no sleep and in 26 degree temperatures. I drank a lukewarm cup of coffee, ate a couple of handfuls of trail mix, and it took what seemed like forever to get packed up and on the trail. I think it was actually about 9:00 a.m. when I started walking.

Another half-marathon day and I got to Hot Springs at almost exactly 5:00 pm. Given that I felt like a sleep-walking zombie with aching feet, not bad. No real highlights to report, but I was so tired, hungry, and hurting, I probably would have overlooked the second coming of Jesus Christ unless it happened 3 feet or less in front of me on the trail.

The first thing on the road when I got to town was a Dollar General Store. Since every article of clothing in my possession was filthy and stinky from 10 days on the trail, I promptly went in the Dollar General, and for $26.00, purchased a t-shirt, socks, underwear, and jeans. I wore my new town clothes to dinner that night and the next day, until I was able to do laundry. I then mailed my new “town clothes” on to my next stop in Erwin, TN where I will use them again.

No comments: