Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Heading to N.O.C.


26-27 March (2 Days)
Standing Indian Shelter, NC
Weather Conditions: Cool
Miles Hiked: 16.5
Total Miles: 83.1

Crossed into NC at 12 noon yesterday. Weather was great approx. 65 degrees. And partly sunny. Made over 12 miles.
Slept GREAT last night!!
Got into camp late. Still trying to get my trail legs under me, but still so far so good.
Running with a group of about 6 great folks that I met up with each night.





28 March
Carter Gap Shelter, NC
Weather Conditions: Wet
Miles Hiked: 7.6
Total Miles: 90.7

Mustang Sally, Guns (Retired First Sergeant) New Song, Ghost (already a 2,000 miler) Polly Wog, shared the shelter with me.
Did 8.5 miles today vs. 11.5 miles planned because it rained today. It was my 1st day walking in the rain. I decided to stop at the shelter rather than go on to the 11.5 mile point because I knew that I could eat dry and keep my pack dry at the shelter.
I plan to do 12 miles tomorrow and get to Rock Gap Shelter rain or shine. From there it is only less than 4 miles to the US 64 road crossing which goes into Franklin, N.C.
It stopped raining just about 4:00 p.m. today, soon after I walked into camp, which was very nice. I got my boots and socks wet crossing a stream today – my pack cover got wet too. Everything else seems to have stayed dry. Hopefully my socks will air dry over night. My pack cover is already dry. We have a fire going so I think I’ll go toast my socks right now.
I’ve really loved this adventure so far. It’s been very challenging physically – more so than I expected. And it’s presented many camping challenges too – but nothing I could not handle.
Already I’ve met many, many wonderful people!!
More soon!!

29 March
Rock Gap Shelter, NC
Outside Franklin, NC
Weather Conditions: Wet, Thunder-Storm
Miles Hiked: 12.1
Total Miles: 102.8

Got an early start today – walked out of camp at 8:05 a.m.
Was rewarded for my early start by getting caught in a thunder storm at about 9:00 a.m. including pea-size hail, lots of thunder and lightning. It was scary. I was counting the seconds between the flash and the thunder and walking as fast as I could. Fortunately, the thunder storm blew over in about 20 or 30 minutes.
Otherwise, it was another gloomy, rainy day, all day, but not cold at least. The literal high point was scrambling over 5,300 foot tall Albert Mountain; a tough steep climb with a great view at the top.
Made 12.2 miles today and got into camp at 3:00 p.m. By far my best time/distance day so far. I think I’m starting to get my trail legs just a little bit.
I’m in camp tonight with Ghost (2002 thru-hiker) Roberto, Paul, Strider Tracer and their two dogs (they took the picture of me at the NC/GA state line).
We’re all heading into Franklin, NC tomorrow. I’m really looking forward to a hot shower, clean clothes, and a hot meal.

30 March
Winding Stair Gap/ US 64, Franklin, NC
Weather Conditions: 45 degrees, Cloudy, Rainy
Miles Hiked: 3.8
Total Miles: 106.6

Short day today. Broke camp early and on the trail before 8:00 a.m. for the 4 miles to Winding Stair Gap where the AT meets US Hwy 64. From there it is about 10 miles into Franklin, NC. But, it’s known that the Haven’s Budget Motel drops off and picks up AT hikers every day at 9:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. I just missed the 9:30 a.m. pick up; but, as luck would have it, a nice lady dropping off her husband and son for a section hike just arrived at the parking lot as I stumbled out of the woods – so, no waiting in the rain and cold for me – instant free shuttle to Franklin!
The high point of my day were long phone calls with my three loves: my wife Squeaky, my daughter Jennifer, and my granddaughter Evelyn.
The motel I’m staying at in Franklin (MicroTel) has a walk-up PC, so I was able to go online and visit The Colonel’s Journal. Squeaky has done a great job. The pictures of Evelyn and me on the AT at Neel’s Gap brought tears to my eyes.
Today was a good town stop. I got to the Laundromat, bought a light re-supply at the grocery store, and even got to an outfitter and got a silk liner for my sleeping bag. This critical piece of gear weighs only 4.5 ounces, yet it takes my bag from a 30 degree bag to a 20 degree bag. I really could have used that last week when it was so cold in North Georgia. But, I think I’ll need it yet when I hit the 6,000 foot elevations in the Smokey’s coming up next week.
Piggin’ out at Huddle House for dinner tonight – right across from my motel!!

1 comment:

Jenau said...

I love hearing Dad's words! I am so proud of him!! He is amazing! =)